This charming oil on board by Lord Paul Ayshford Methuen RA depicts the Hotel d'Aligre at 30 Rue Damiette, Rouen in Normandy, France. The building, which is a 16th century mansion in the centre of the city, still exists today.
The painting shows the back wing of the building with the access porch to the main courtyard. Please see final image for a present day view with the addition of windows in the roof.
The work was most likely painted during or just after WW2, when Methuen was serving as a captain in the British Army. He wrote a book ''Normandy Diary'' recounting his experiences with the Procurement and Fine Art branch, which was set up to protect works of art during the invasion of the continent.
A finely painted and atmospheric work which clearly shows the influence of Methuen's one time teacher Walter Sickert. Signed on the reverse and presented in a beautiful gilt frame.
Artist: Lord Paul Ayshford Methuen RA (English, 1886-1974)
Title: Hotel d'Aligre, Rouen
Medium: Oil on board
Size: 22 x 16.5 inches (56 x 42 cm) including the frame
Lord Methuen (Paul Ayshford Methuen, 4th Baron), RA, RWS, PRWA (1886-1974) was a well known painter in oil, watercolour and pastel of landscapes, town scenes and figures subjects. Born at Corsham in Wiltshire he studied art under Sir Charles Holmes and later under Walter Sickert.
He had his first one man show at the Warren Gallery in 1928 and later had several shows with The Leicester Galleries and Colnaghi's. He exhibited extensively at the major galleries, and was elected an Associate of the Royal Academy 1951, full RA 1959, member of the Royal Watercolour Society 1952, Royal Society of British Artists 1939, New English Art Club 1943, and President of the Royal West of England Academy.
His work is represented in a number of major collections, including the Tate Gallery (five examples), the Victoria & Albert Museum, and several collections in the provinces. He lived in London and at the family home at Corsham Court in Wiltshire, where he established an influential art school in 1946.
The Hôtel d'Aligre is a private mansion located in Rouen , France.
The first body of building on this location was called the Hôtel des Presses or Hôtel des Étuves , owned by the wealthy Dufour manufacturing family.
Mentioned for the first time in 1446, it was rebuilt in the second half of the 16th century by Guillaume de Fieu.
Guillaume Le Fieu (November 9, 1584) was treasurer-secretary to Catherine de Medici then receiver general of the Generality of Rouen and finally ordinary master of the Chamber of Accounts of Normandy. His daughter Marie married Pierre de Couldray, sieur de Féville, king's secretary.
It was in this hotel that resided at the end of the 16th century Lord Clarendon, minister in exile of the King of England.
The property then became the possession of the Dambrays, Sieurs de Montigny, then in 1729 to the Godefroy de Senneville family. Under the Empire , it passed to the family of the Marquis de Pomeureu d'Aligre , and remained so until the middle of the 20th century . The hotel became the property of the city of Rouen in 1943 . In a state of near abandonment, it was sold to a promoter in 1980 and was the subject of a real estate transaction. Historical parts have been saved and enhanced.
Please fill in the information below